You need to download and install the Platform SDK, and you need to run
the icon in the program group called "32-bit build environment" or
"64-bit build environment".  This sets up all the appropriate
environment variables for compilation.

There is a binary distribution for Windows at
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html if you don't want
to deal with that. :)

-Kyle H