Gerd Schering wrote:

> So , if I get it right: we have a "true" random source to seed the PRNG
> and this produces "true" random numbers?

No.  There is no such guarantee using any PRNG.  PRNGs provide a much higher
bitrate than hardware RNGs or system sources of entropy.  They use cryptographic
hash functions to "whiten" data, i.e., these hash functions have the property
that
a change in a single bit of input changes, on average, half the output bits.

Presumably you want a source of nicely-distributed random bits which are
computationally infeasible for another party to predict.  If you want a
security guarantee (reduction proof that if PRNG is insecure, it implies
SHA1 is insecure, etc.), then there are design and operational constraints
to consider (e.g. generating only 2^N bits with 2^M bits of input from a RBG).
Oh, and you'll have to supply the proof -- it's missing on all the commonly
used PRNGs.

- Michael