Hodie pr. Id. Nov. MMVIII est, John Nagle scripsit:
> Question: Is a certificate for "*.example.com" considered valid for
> "example.com"?

No. "*.example.com" could at most be reduced to ".example.com", but
the first "." can't be suppressed.

> OpenSSL seems to say no, but Firefox 2 says yes.  Try
> "https://stanford.edu"; for a test.

The certificate sent by this site has a subjectAlternativeName
extension:
X509v3 Subject Alternative Name:
    DNS:*.stanford.edu, DNS:stanford.edu

And this satisfies Firefox.

> RFC 2459 doesn't discuss wildcards.  I haven't paid
> 73 CHF to access the X.509 standard at
> "http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X.509-200508-I/en";.

RFC2459 is waaayyyy obsolete, it has been replaced by RFC3280, and
then by RFC5280. It can't discuss wildcards, since it's an SSL-only
use case. Same goes for the X.509 standard (which is free to download
in PDF format).

--
Erwann ABALEA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-----