On Fri, Nov 21, 2008, ThanhTrung Do wrote:

> Hi forks,
>
> I've been using OpenSSL 0.9.8h, I use it for SMIME sign/verify. I've just
> upgraded to OpenSSL 0.9.8i and my code doesn't work anymore.
>
> The error is: [error:21075081:PKCS7 routines:PKCS7_verify:smime text error]
>
> After spending sometime to investigate, I see the only diff is: the
> SMIME_text function (crypto/asn1/asn_mime.c) in 0.9.8i was added the check
> for "len" variable:
>
> if (len < 0)
>     return 0;
>
> I don't know why we need this check. But my code works on 0.9.8h (the one
> without the check). Could someone give me a hint?

The reason for that is to detect I/O errors in the stream.

The only reason I can think of for different behaviour is if you have a memory
BIO:

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#PROG15

If that isn't the case do you get this problem with the command line utility
too? If so post the message and command line you used, privately if you wish.

Steve.