In a client application communicating with a MySQL server, I am using
SSL to encrypt/decrypt data sent to and from the database. This requires
me to have the PEMs for the CA, client key, and client certificate
distributed as part of the application. Of course these certificates
will not work except with the corresponding server certificates on the
MySQL server to which I am communicating.

My initial choice was to distribute the client certificates in the same
directory as the application's modules, as they are easy to find at
run-time there in order to make my SSL connection with the database. It
has been suggested to me that this is inherently insecure. Nonetheless I
must distribute them somewhere since the certificates have to exist in
the file system when I make the call at run-time to create a SSL
connection to the server.

What are the best strategies to distribute these client certificates on
the end-user's machine ? Should I be pre-encrypting these certificates,
then decrypting them in memory before writing them to a temporary
location, and then destroying the decrypted certificates from that
temporary location after the connection is made, or is this overkill and
a simpler/better way of distributing the client certificates as part of
my application is possible ?

Any suggestions, help, pointers would be much appreciated.

Finally the client application runs on Windows and not LInux so if there
are OS specific arguments as to how to distribute these client
certificates you will know to what OS the application is targeted.

Thanks !