> Please note that I can not solve this problem via the protocol that I
> use on top of DTLS - which is IPFIX - because IPFIX - by definition -
> only *sends* but does not receive data. I.e. I can not infer that the
> server crashed from the fact the he does not send any data because he
> does not send data anyway (except Handshake messages like ServerHello,
> ServerKeyExchange, etc.). I guess IPFIX is a one-way protocol.
>
> Thanks
>   Daniel

You have a problem that cannot be solved in principle. If you do not allow
the other side to ever send anything, then there is simply no way you can
ever detect its absence.

If you wish to detect the loss of the other side, the other side *must* send
something. There is no other way. I suggest you either modify your protocol
or layer another protocol between it and DTLS.

DS