On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Young, Alistair
<alistair.yo...@logica.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Using the OpenSSL command line, is it possible to compute hashes of data
> which is not a whole number of bytes in length?  For example, a block of
> data consisting of (say) 110 bits?
>
> Padding the data is not an option, because we need to be able to verify
> hashes which have been computed externally.
>
> If this is not an option from the command line, can it be achieved
> through use of the OpenSSL APIs?

Since all [supported] secure hash algorithms are byte, pardon,
*word*-based, the mere definition of those algorithms precludes the
possiblity of hashing 110 bit data bursts without any [bit-]padding.
Here, 'word' size depends on the secure hash algorithm used. So the
oversimplified answer is: no can do.

Given that you don't ask whether particular bit-data-stream oriented
secure hash algorithm XYZ is supported by OpenSSL, while it's not
listed in the feature set, I have a question in return: are you sure
you are ware what you are asking here? If yes, please specify required
hash algorithm and other specifics and we might be able to help you
out.

Ger Hobbelt