>On Tue 10/02/09 10:53 PM , Michael Sierchio ku...@tenebras.com sent:
>Tomasz Kaźmierczak wrote:
>> I've managed to base64 decode a public key (at least I think so;).
>> Now I'm trying to understand how to interpret the key data. I've found the
>> definitions of RSAPublicKey and RSAPrivateKey structures (in the
>> "PKCS #1: RSA Cryptography Standard"), but there is no information
>> about what are the lengths of those structures' fields.
>
>You should locate and follow one of the ASN.1 tutorials floating
>about on the web before proceeding any further. The syntax of
>the representation contains tags that identify to contents of
>components of an object, and their length in octets. And more,
>sometimes. ;-)

I'm assuming Tomasz has access to the openssl binary!? Use the asn1parse option
to decode the key data from PEM format.

Use 'openssl asn1parse -inform PEM -in your-key-file-name' and this will dump a
file. This is a certificate rather than a key file:

OpenSSL> asn1parse -inform PEM -in enc-root.pem -dump
    0:d=0  hl=4 l= 495 cons: SEQUENCE
    4:d=1  hl=4 l= 344 cons: SEQUENCE
    8:d=2  hl=2 l=   3 cons: cont [ 0 ]
   10:d=3  hl=2 l=   1 prim: INTEGER           :02
   13:d=2  hl=2 l=  17 prim: INTEGER           :EC7F6C3FF7F74C7A856FB59A6941F2C
   32:d=2  hl=2 l=  13 cons: SEQUENCE
   34:d=3  hl=2 l=   9 prim: OBJECT            :sha1WithRSAEncryption

etc...

Carl