Hi again,

I forgot to include a subject and I have some extra information on this
as well so thought I'd send more.

I have printed out the human readable error output of the call to
PEM_read_PrivateKey and it is a s such:

error:0906B072:lib(9):func(107):reason(114)

>From looking through the EVP error codes function 107 is
PEM_GET_EVP_CIPHER_INFO and reason 114 is PEM_R_UNSUPPORTED_ENCRYPTION.
Now I created the private key using OpenSSL so it seems odd to me that
it would be considered unsupported.  Some relevant info from the key
file is:

Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED

DEK-Info: DES-EDE3-CBC,C1897FAC7F2375FD

I have read that the cipher type is determined from the salt, i.e.
C1897..., and a few other variables such as iv (?) that I haven't had
much luck in determining.

Any ideas why PEM_read_PrivateKey would still be returning NULL???

By the way I am using version 0.9.8g which I know is slightly outdated
if that makes a difference.

-John Larson