You need to delete (or comment) the Configure VC-CE lines
if you aren't doing Win-CE cross development (which you aren't).
I'm not sure why these were included in the 'vanilla' procedure
in the first place; IME if you're doing cross development
you already expect and know how to tweak build procedures.
They aren't in the do_masm and do_nasm variants. Which, if you
care about performance, you should be using one of anyway.

>          I was able to successfully run the "nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak"
> and "nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak testt"" steps without error so I'm surmising
> that the do_ms errors are not serious, but can someone explain what's
going on here?.

Right. The VC-WIN32 configures worked, just not the VC-CE ones,
which you didn't try to use (i.e. nmake) and don't want.

> Also, if possible I'd like to build some of the apps in the apps
directory,
> pkcs8 and pkcs12, for debug. Is that possible?

You mean as separate executables, rather than in the monolith?
I don't think so; at least I don't see any easy way.
The monolith is included in the normal build, with symbols if you
had debug, and I can debug that OK, which is good enough for me.