On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Neerav Singh
<neerav.si...@tatatel.co.in> wrote:
> Hi Ger
>
> Thanks a lot for the invaluable information, I opened my mind I had to read
> a lot in order to get what you were suggesting, but worthwhile!!
>

> I tried a lot by setting different CFLAGS, got in the code, tried to find
> some error, in the make file but with no help, everything was pointing to
> the same ANSI problem
>
> Then finally we re-installed compiler and it worked like a magic, looks like
> there was a problem with compiler installation.

Glad that got fixed.

> Now I ran into another problem
>

> -          I ran make command(openssl) successfully
>
> -          Executed Configure for mod_ssl --- ./configure --with-apache…
> --with-ssl=../openssl-…
>
> -          Make certificate(DSA)
>
> -          Configured apache with following options
> --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE --enable-module=so --enable-module=ssl
> --enable-shared=ssl --with-ssl….
>
> -          Then changed the port number in httpd.conf file to 8300
>
> -          Executed ./apachectl start
>
> -          Executed ./apachectl startssl
>

> But when i connect to http://serverip:8300 I am able to see “The
> SSL/TLS-aware Apache webserver was successfully installed on this website”
>

> How do I get HTTPS in the address is there any other port I need to access
> or is there something more I need to do??

<scratches head> It's been quite a while since I messed with apache.
Anyway, the issue is not quite clear from your description: can you
get a HTTPS connection or not? (I assume not, or otherwise it wouldn't
be stated as a problem, which means a 'don't' is missing from that
last sentence, right?

(And I've taken the liberty to adjust the subject line so others can
see what this is about and respond in a better way than me at the
moment.)

There's a few bits and pieces to attend. I'll just write them down as
they come up; think of it as an (incomplete) checklist:

1)
first of all, HTTPS urls are at least
  https://<fqdn>
or
  https://<fqdn>:<portnumber>

where <fqdn> is a 'fully qualified domain name', e.g.
'code.google.com'. For HTTP, <fqdn> may be be a direct IP number (and
it may as well for HTTPS, but there are a few nasty caveats then): The
<fqdn> should match the server domain name specified in the previously
generated and installed server certificate.

2)
Then there's the wording 'server certificate': certificates have a
purpose, which must be specified at certificate request generation
time. server certificates are not client certificates are not email
auth certificates are not ... etc. There's a lot of info on this in
several places on the web and also in the history/archive of this
mailing list as HTTPS server certificate related questions pop up
quite often on this list.

Depending on the server itself, such 'server certificates' must have
particular attributes (OIDs) included. (Warning: this is off the top
of my head and intentionally vague. I'd have to unearth my notes if
this is [part of] the issue.)

3) Then there's server cert install and acceptability: self-signed
certs can cause a hickup or two; depends on server and its setup

4) When server accepts/loads the cert, there's the default (standard)
HTTPS port: 443. A quick 'nmap' port scan or other method to detect if
the standard (or configured custom) port is open on the intended
server interface can be useful as a _very shallow_ preliminary check.
IIRC alternative port(s) for HTTPS can be set up in the mod_ssl config
section of Apache.

5)
When you've regular HTTP listening on port 8003, you cannot map the
SSL port onto the same number as that would be a collision. Think of
HTTP and HTTPS as two different servers in a single Apache package
when it comes to interfaces, ports and virtual hosts (SSL doesn't work
with virtual hosts when you want to present anywhere near a valid
certificate for your HTTPS server, as SSL negotiation is performed
before HTTPS request-embedded FQDN is mapped onto a virtual host.

6)
Best to check the SSL connectivity with your server by trying to
connect to it using openssl's own 's_client' utility (some web
browsers are rather unhelpful when reporting trouble about HTTPS
connection failures), once you've ensured the server is actually
listening on the intended port (nmap or other portscanner tool;
another crude way is telnet IP PORT, e.g. 'telnet 192.168.1.1 443'
just to see if you're getting a IP connection; telnet doesn't talk SSL
so it will fail immediately after you type something.).

Ger Hobbelt