Hi,

I've seen some mails concerning this topic but they still haven't answered
my questions. I'm writing an application which uses openssl code.

What I need to do is:
1) Receive one DER ASN.1 object encoded as a base64 encoded string.
This string may hold 1 - n extension(s) of unknown kind, i.e. they may or
may not be standard extensions.

2)
Add this object to an existing certificate request and then sign that
request.

What I don't understand is:
- how to turn the received text string into an object understood by openssl?
- how to transparently add this object to a certificate

In all code I see AND the configuration files of openssl the 'root' object
need to be named (1.2.3.4 below) and the extensions are then added one by
one. Eg:
mkreq.c
                nid = OBJ_create("1.2.3.4", "MyAlias", "My Test Alias
Extension");

or
x509v3_config(5)
      :
ARBITRARY EXTENSIONS:
      :
 1.2.3.4=DER:01020304

Can the name of the 'root' object be part of the DER ASN.1 atring object?
How do I parse it using the openssl-lib? Do I need to?

And what about criticality?

Obviously, I'm at a loss here and someone needs to straighten me out...

Thanks!