They are two different network protocols which both implement cryptography.

OpenSSL is primarily used by developers behind the scenes and not directly by users (though there is an "openssl" command-line tool that exposes many of OpenSSL's capabilities). I assume the "command prompt feature" you refer to is a remote shell, which is a built-in part of the SSH protocol (implemented by OpenSSH).

While you could run a shell through an SSL tunnel, OpenSSL does not itself implement this. OpenSSL implements SSL/TLS, which is used to tunnel other protocols. A common example you may be aware of is banking sites which use HTTPS traffic. This is HTTP (web browsing, for the most part) traffic encrypted through an SSL/TLS tunnel.

For this to work, both the client and the server must have an SSL/TLS implementation, of which OpenSSL is one (GnuTLS is another). For instance, the Apache webserver's mod_ssl uses OpenSSL to allow HTTPS traffic.

If you don't already know what OpenSSL is, you probably do not want to use it directly. It sounds like you're looking for SSH, in which case, I'd direct you to OpenSSH.