On Fri, Aug 21, 2009, barcaroller wrote:

> I was looking at the OpenSSL source code and some open-source applications
> using OpenSSL, and I came across functions like X509_get_issuer_name() and
> X509_get_pubkey(), and macros like X509_extract_key().  These seem to be
> very useful but I could not find them anywhere in the online OpenSSL
> documentation or the OpenSSL man pages.  Nor could I find any information
> about the fields of many of the important structs (e.g. EVP_PKEY), which
> means I won't know how to reliably read/write from/to these structs.
>
> Are these functions/macros/structs documented somewhere?  If not, what would
> be the recommended method of getting more information about them?

Applications shouldn't access structures directly if that can be avoided. If
functions exist to do what you want you should use those instead.

Sometimes structures need to be changed over time and we would like to make
many of them opaque, applications accessing them directly will no longer work
if/when we do that.

Steve.