From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org]
On Behalf Of Michael Prinzinger
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:02 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: verify client certificate at a later point

Thank You Ashish for your answer!
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Ashish Thapliyal
<ashish.thapli...@citrix.com<mailto:ashish.thapli...@citrix.com>> wrote:

I set the following for the global context which is used to create the
connection:

        // Set the SSL certificate verify mode

        SSL_CTX_set_verify(_globalContext, SSL_VERIFY_PEER, NULL);

Then the server requests the peer (i.e. the client) for a certificate during
the handshake, which the client can either ignore, or provide.
yes I want the client to provide a certificate. this also works, if I set the
globalContext like above
However at this point the server cannot yet verify the client's certificate.
So calling BIO_do_connect(BIO* client_socket) returns -1, because the client
certificate could not be verified.

The other option is to do a handshake without asking for a client certificate
first, then do a re-handshake and ask the client for a certificate when
required.
Yes this would work. Because later the server will get the client certificate
in a secure fashion.
So how can I redo the handshake? I do not want to close and open the connection
a new, just ask the client again for its certificate.
Do you know how to do that?

Thank You!

Michael

Ashish

Ashish V. Thapliyal, Security Architect, Citrix Online Division, 6500 Hollister
Ave, Goleta, CA 93117. V: +1 (805) 690 2908.