On 2009.10.19 at 16:30:14 +0100, Steve Hay wrote:

> I have a build script for some software that needs to locate the OpenSSL
> headers and libraries, and I have reports that it is failing to locate
> the libraries on some OSes.
>
> One example identifies itself (via 'uname') as:
>
> sunos open-solaris-noc 5.11 snv_95 i86pc i386 i86pc
>
> What is the default installation location for the OpenSSL libraries on
> such a machine?

Are you sure that these libraries are installed on the machine?
As far, as I know on Solaris 11 (although my test machine reports
snv_111b) OpenSSL librares are installed into /lib and headers into
/usr/include/openss

Note that if you are trying to build 64-bit application on solaris,
it should link with /lib/amd64/libcrypto.so rather than
/lib/libcrypto.so (on Solaris 64-bit libraries are stored in the
${prefix}/lib/`isainfo -k` rather than just ${prefix}/lib, where 32-bit
libraries are kept. Command isainfo -k returns amd64 for 64-bit Solaris Intel
and sparcv9 for 64-bit Solaris Sparc.

Some Linux distribution also keep OpenSSL shared libraries in the /lib,
and recent freeBSD too, but they put symilinks libcrypto.so and
libssl.so into /usr/lib to link with. Solaris doesn't do this.

In the Solaris 10 OpenSSL libraries are stored in the /usr/sfw/lib and
include files in /usr/sfw/include.