Hello, I'm confused somewhat about the workings of OpenSSL, in
particular the following command:

openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey servicekey.pem -in servicecert.pem -out
service.p12 -name myservicekey -passin pass:sspass -passout pass:skpass

Question:  Does the above command create a private key named
"service.p12" or a keystore named "service.p12" that has a private key
within it?  I'm not sure what service.p12 is -- is it a keystore or a
private key?

If it is a keystore containing a private key, just to confirm, there is
no real way with OpenSSL to create a private key without its enclosing
keystore, correct?  I.e., it is usual and normal for OpenSSL to create
its private keys within keystores.

But if it is just a private key, does OpenSSL provide the ability to
create a keystore that can be used to house this private key? (What
would the command be for that)?

Thanks,
Glen