On Sat, Jan 23, 2010, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010, Michael Stone wrote:
>

> >      This certainly looks like a 12-byte verify_data field encoded as a
> >      variable-length vector (i.e. prefixed with a 1-byte length).
> >
> >   6. We receive a fatal unexpected_message alert:
> >
> >        <<< TLS 1.0 Alert [length 0002], fatal unexpected_message
> >            02 0a
> >
> >   7. The end.
> >
> > ## Questions
> >
> >   1. Everything looks good until we get the unexpected_message
> >      alert. Is there some reason why we should expect to see it?
> >

> Just a quick note. I can reproduce this now and I'm investigating it further.

I've traced the cause this was *fun*. The full story is in:

http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=19145

This is a case of a bug in OpenSSL (PR#1949) being fixed but a related bug in
Apache still existing in older versions.

The clue to this was that the hello request message was never sent back to the
client. As a result it never initiated the renegotiation handsgake and appeared
to refuse the renegotiation request (which we regard as a fatal error) and
that was the result.

The above patch should address this, if you trace the reference in PR#1949
you'll also see and Apache only fix for this.

Steve.