On Mon, Feb 01, 2010, Ujwal Chinthala wrote:

> Hmm, that could be a problem.
>
> This code is going to run on a  box which is shipped to the customer.
> So I don't believe we want to ship these boxes with private keys in them :).

I didn't mean that. I mean that if you create a certificate containing the
public key using the private key then you should have no problems. You just
ship the certificate to the customer.

>  Does Openssl have any API which can extract the  PKCS7 data from the CMS
> structure, which
>  in turn can be used with PKCS7 API's?

The feature you've used with CMS (signing using a key identifier) is a CMS
only feature and not compatible with PKCS#7. That's why you got the error in
the first place.

Steve.