From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org
[mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org]on Behalf Of Eisenacher, Patrick
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:07 AM
To: 'openssl-users@openssl.org'
Subject: RE: SSL renegotiation clarifications

Hi Saju,

-----Original Message-----
From: Saju Paul

Who as in Sender-encrypter or Receiver-decrypter should renegotiate an SSL
session?  Can it be both or is it only the Sender?  Is there a document that
describes the protocol?
Does renegotiation always require SSL handshake? (SSL_do_handshake)  Are
they any circumstances where the handshake is not necessary?  SSL
renegotiation described @
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/83final/ba554_90007/ch04s03.html is a
reference I'm planning to use and it suggest that the handshake is
necessary.  Need reconfirmation.

---

Renegotiation is part of the SSL/TLS protocol and as such defined exactly
there. Both client and server can initiate the renegotiation. And yes,
renegotiation always triggers a new handshake.

Please be aware that a security weakness was discovered lately in this
renegotiation mechanism. A new TLS extension draft was published to close
this weakneses. Currently, work is ongoing to adapt this extension in the
relevant security tools.

HTH,
Patrick