On Wednesday 24 March 2010 15:52:58 Konrads Smelkovs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This issue also spurred me to think about a patch :) I don't think OpenSSL
> should write a RFC 2560 noncompliant feature, however, an option  would be
> to provide a warning explaining the issue better than current
> "OCSP_basic_verify:root ca not trusted" and then optionally doing the extra
> steps to verify up the chain.

Hi Konrads.  I'm not sure, but I think I may have confused you.  The patch
I've written addresses a different (but related) RFC2560-compliant issue to
the (non-compliant) issue you raised at the beginning of this thread.  Sorry,
perhaps I should have changed the "Subject:" when I slightly changed the
topic.

As far as your issue is concerned, I personally think that the current
behaviour of "openssl ocsp" is acceptable.  Steve has already mentioned that
"you can explicitly trust the responder certificate with the -VAfile option or
add explicit OCSP signing trust to the root".

My issue is that I'm looking for "openssl ocsp" to *implicitly* trust the
certificate's issuer (i.e. the RFC2560-compliant "non-delegated" model).  I
think I'll post my patch to the Request Tracker now, rather than hijack this
thread any longer.  ;-)