My apologies to all for mis-remembering what package the issue was
relating to - it was with an iscsi target (IET, which is certainly
GPL!). I was working with both openssl and IET when I had this problem,
and for some reason I associated it with openssl instead of IET.

Sorry for the extra noise!

(Since I mis-remembered the kernel module that I was having trouble
with, unless someone wants to discuss the issues of cross-compiling
kernels (and executables) and getting GPL-only symbol exporting to work,
I expect this is my last posting here on this subject unless others wish
to discuss cross-compiling and EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL here).

If anyone cares to know what actually is the story:

IET (iSCSI Enterprise Target) uses the crypto interface.  I am
cross-compiling to arm/xscale - the kernel using the 'arm-2006q3'
toolchain, and executables and modules using the 'armv5l-linux'
toolchain.  But the resulting ietd fails to load because it cannot
'find' the crypto symbols.  (If I change the export to non-GPL and
rebuild the kernel, ietd loads fine, so it's a "cannot resolve symbol"
issue, not a binary incompatibility issue).

After some fooling around, my current theory that my problem is related
to the fact that this is a cross-compiled kernel.  I grepped every
single file in my kernel build tree, and no non-source file anywhere has
'crypto_register_alg' inside it.  And I don't see ANY of the other
crypto GPL symbols in the symbol table! (System.map)

So, I'm trying to find anyone who has cross-compiled a kernel for xscale
and been able to load GPL kernel modules which used the GPL kernel
symbols.

Or, put another way - I want to find out if KERNEL_EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL
works under a cross-compile environment. (I am using 'arm-2006q3'
toolchain)

The first part of my initial email follows, but changed to fit reality.

Thanks!

Rusty (the original poster)