I'm interested in using custom OIDs for private application purposes.
I've found the documentation to be deficient.

For instance, in openssl.cnf it gives an example line of
 [ new_oids ]
 #testoid1=1.2.3.4

When I uncomment that line I can't even tell what the effect is; e.g.,
"openssl req ..." doesn't then prompt me for a testoid1 field. Just
what is the effect of this supposed to be?

Amongst my first questions is, when you add OIDs in this manner are
you able to use the command line tool to supply values or does this
require programmatic construction of certificates? (There's obviously
the further question if yes of how the data is typed.)