On 15-07-2010 21:26, Hugo Garza wrote:
Hello All, I'm trying to get a basic root CA setup with an intermediate CA
to handle all the end user certificate signing.

So far I've created a Root CA
I created an intermediate CA and signed it's certificate with the Root CA
I created an end user certificate and signed it with the intermediate CA.

Now I want to be able to just import the Root CA and have all end user
certificates be verified.

I tried running:
openssl verify -CAfile ../root/ca-cert.crt   user.crt

and it returns with
error 20 at 0 depth lookup:unable to get local issuer certificate

Thanks for any help.

All of the certificates in the chain from user.crt to ca-cert.crt (inclusive) need to be provided as input. It is your choice if
the intermediary cert is included in ca-cert.crt or in user.crt.

In a real application/protocol (such as SSL), the intermediary cert
would typically be included in the appropriate protocol or message
field.  SSL/TLS puts the list of certificates in the "Certificate"
handshake message, S/MIME (CMS/PKCS#7) puts the list of certificates
in the "certificates" member of the SignedData ASN.1 structure.