Well, think of the device as proxy which acts as the client to the server
and server to the client. Hence, the proxy is configured with the same
public-key and private key as that of the server so that it can act as the
server to the clients. But before it starts to do that, I want to make sure
that the server is using the exact same pub/pvt key pair as the one
configured on the proxy. Hence, the question.

So, given your response, I take it that if I compare the Pub-key in C2
(which came on the wire) with the Pub-key in C1, then I can indirectly infer
that the private-key corresponding to C1 and C2 is the same. In other words,
if the pub-key for 2 certs match, then they must have the same private-key.