I  have been reading HOWTOs all over the internet trying to figure out
how to generate a self-signed and/or CA (mine) signed certificate.

What I can't understand is, WHY do I need an RSA "key" or certificate.
I think it's a key.  WHY do I need a PEM certificate, and why a DER
certificate?

No where on any website does it say WHEN to use one type of certificate
or just a key?

Apache httpd.conf files will reference both .key and .crt files in their
syntax; isn't the .crt a PEM-encoded certificate file?  If so, why not
give it a more meaningful  .pem extension instead.

Can anyone clarify for me?  I am trying not to chase my tail and want to
learn this stuff on a deeper level.

When do I know if I need to perform the openssl req and then openssl
x509 commands and NOT the openssl rsa command.

This is all very confusing and I see no simplified (non-doctoral)
documentation on this material.  Anyone have a book to suggest?

Thanks to anyone that can respond.
--
*Warron French, SCSA*
**