thank you, Steve.  I already have a trial certificate from you guys.  I need
to check your pricing when it expires (90 days) to determine whether I will
buy one.

Alas, I want to learn what the capabilities of certificate encryption are,
and what happens when they expire.  (In particular, I want to create a
document that expires in, say, 3 years.)

So, I want to be able to create some test certificates that expire in
tomorrow, the day after, etc., and then see whether the document becomes
unusable.   Unfortunately, Acrobat Pro seems to create 5-year certificates
only.  so, I need some sample certificates, and I figure openSSL can do
this...somehow.

/iaw