On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson <st...@openssl.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010, Vivek Madani wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What are the conditions when power-on self tests may fail. We have an
>> application using OpenSSL in FIPS mode and the power on self test has
>> always succeeded. However, today on one of the virtual machines the
>> test failed. What could have possibly lead to this failure? Any ideas?
>>

> If the test worked before then the most likely cause is that the binary got
> corrupted somehow and this resulted in the integrity test failing. If you log
> the error produced it should give you more information.

Here is some more information:
1. fips_mode_set(1) is failing always if I run my application on a
virtual machine through VMWare console. fips_test_suite.exe does not
show any failures.
Error String: error:2D06906F:lib(45):func(105):reason(111)
Error Code: 755404911

2. fips_mode_set(1) works fine and is successful if I run same
application (same binaries) on same virtual machine but now through
Microsoft Terminal Server Client (RDP) instead of VMWare console.

I know this is strange but I am yet to derive why this behavior is observed.