I don't want to discourage you from learning the details yourself, but
you may want to look at some wrapper software that is already worked
out and takes care of these things for you.  For example, I usually
find TinyCA adequate to my minuscule certificate-processing needs.

Even if you decide not to use such a tool, you may learn some useful
things by studying the code.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Balance your desire for bells and whistles with the reality that only a