We are trying to generate the hash of the subject name in certificates in
fips mode by using the ³openssl x509 ­hash² command. Apparently this utility
uses md5 algorithm to calculate the hash of the subject name and therefore
this operation is not allowed in FIPS mode.

My question is , is there any flag that can be set in the environment or the
OpenSSL config file that would allow subject name hash operation in FIPS
mode? I know there is a flag that can be used programatically -
EVP_MD_CTX_set_flags(&ctx, EVP_MD_CTX_FLAG_NON_FIPS_ALLOW). But I am
concerned about using the OpenSSL binary and allow the hash operation by it
in FIPS mode. What would be the way to achieve that?

Thanks
Anamitra