On Tue, Nov 23, 2010, richard.folw...@barclays.com wrote:

> I'm fairly comfortable now using OpenSSL from the command line for basic
> operations: certificate management, encryption, decryption, signing and
> verification.  However I need to create encrypted and signed files to
> meet PKCS#7, and cannot find any documentation online that explains how
> to do this.  "openssl pkcs7" appears to be for manipulating existing
> PKCS#7 files, not for creating them in the first place.

It depends on what you mean by "encrypted and signed files". The smime utility
can create signed or encrypted PKCS#7 structures but not the rarely used
signedAndEncrypte PKCS#7 type. If you have a choice on the format then the
(largely compatible with PKCS#7) Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) is
preferable over PKCS#7: the cms utility supports that.

Steve.