On Tue, Dec 07, 2010, Maxim Kammerer wrote:

> > The command-line argument "-md" to "openssl cms -sign_receipt" is
> > apparently ignored, and the default digest algorithm (SHA-1 in my
> > tests) is used instead. In addition, the "-noattr" argument has the
> > same effect as "-nosmimecap", apparently leaving some unnecessary
> > attributes (like signing time) - contrary to the manual.
>
> Maybe it wasn't clear from my post, but this issue is a bug, not a
> missing feature. The CMS structure for -sign_receipt is very similar
> to one for -sign, and both have a field for the selected message
> digest algorithm (visible with openssl cms -cmsout -noout -print -in
> receipt.sig). Not so sure about -noattr/-nosmimecap, though.

At present this is a limitation of the API: there is no option to specify an
alternative digest. I'll have to see if there is an easy way to fix this
without a new API.

It would be relatively easy to use the same digest as the original content
instead of using the default public key algorithm digest.

The -noattr option isn't a bug: you can't omit all attributes with signed
receipts and the use of any means that the standard mandatory attributes are
included.

Steve.