From: Victor Duchovni <victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com>
Subject: Re: How to compute crt coefficient (PQ) value of a private key?
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Date: Wednesday, 15 December, 2010, 10:08 AM

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:30:33PM -0800, Kannan J wrote:

> I have a private key that I need to load onto the smart card.
> The PIV User Guide says PQ = P-1 mod Q

Instead of re-interpreting it is best to provide a direct reference,
or at least an unedited quote of the specificied requirements with
enough context so the specs make sense...

Clearly "PQ" is always zero mod Q, so you seem to want P = 1 mod Q,
which is only possible if P is the larger of the two primes.

--
    Viktor.