I had this problem, too. A workaround that does the trick for me is to

- encode the key and any certificate you'd like to export to the .p12 as PEM
- Paste the PEM key and all the PEM certificates into one single file
(let's assume all.pem)
- then issue the following command:

openssl pkcs12 -export -in all.pem -out mypkcs12.p12 -name tomcat

Regards,
Martin