On Wed, Feb 23, 2011, anmajumd wrote:

> We recently built  FIPS compliant openssl 0.9.8q. Earlier we were using
> 0.9.8l . With ssh binaries linked to FIPS compliant OpenSSL 0.9.8q, when
> running the OpenSSH client, connection setup fails during verification of
> the server key.
> We did not not run into this SSH issue with 0.9.8l. Has anything  changed
> between 0.9.8l and 0.9.8q that would cause this?
>
> The call to OpenSSL that ultimately fails is RSA_public_decrypt().  Has it
> somehow been tightened up .

Yes, you aren't allowed to call RSA_public_decrypt() directly in FIPS mode:
instead you have to use the EVP interface for EVP_Verify*(). There is a patch
which changes the ssh code to use EVP instead (while still being compatible
with other versions of OpenSSL).

Due to a bug the restriction wasn't enforced in some versions of OpenSSL.

Steve.