I'd like to compile OpenSSL 1.0.0d so that, by default, it uses a directory for
--openssldir to which I do not have write access but gets installed in a
directory which I do have write access:

        ./config  --openssldir=/usr/share/ssl --prefix=${HOME}/openssl

Compiling and testing works fine, but when I 'gmake install' it tries to
install things in the --openssldir (/usr/share/ssl) and the install fails
before completing important things like: installing shared libraries. I've
tried adding the '-k' flags to gmake, but it dies anyway.

I know I can set the OPENSSL_CONF environment variable at run-time, but I'd
rather set the default at compile time if I can. Is this possible?