Thanks Steve. This happened on a system with Intel dual core 2.4ghz processor and 2gig ram. Is the observed cpu pattern expected on such platforms? You mentioned it will be less painful after upcoming validation. Do you mean change in implementation for speedier self-tests?

Thanks,
Prakash

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Marquess" <marqu...@opensslfoundation.com>
To: <openssl-users@openssl.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 1:44 AM
Subject: Re: BN_mod_mul_montgomery() causing cpu spike

prakgen wrote:
Hi,

I've enabled fips in sshd (OpenSSH 5.5p1) and linked it against openssl-fips-1.2. Everytime time sshd is spawned, the cpu utilization shoots up and remains high (40% to 90%) for around 5 seconds. By taking backtraces at time intervals (please see below), I found that, during this entire 5 sec period, sshd was executing BN_mod_mul_montgomery() function. Is this expected? Is there a workaround to avoid cpu spike? This is adding delay to ssh login.

You are seeing the "POST" (Power Up Self Test) mandated by FIPS 140-2. It is a huge performance hit on low powered platforms (sometimes taking tens or even hundreds of seconds). We're going to make it significantly less painful for the upcoming new validation now in progress, but there will always be a performance hit relative to the same software without enabling FIPS mode.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
The OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.