Bonjour,

Hodie XIV Kal. Iun. MMXI, Tim Watts scripsit:
> I do apologise - it's a long post. I'm just not totally sure if I
> have the correct attributes and extensions - and whether it meets
> the requirements of a v3 SSL cert (I think it does). Is 4096 bit key
> and sha1 a good choice?

SHA1 is still tolerated, but being slowly obsolete. You can still use
it if your serial numbers have some randomness, which is not the case
here. Either use one member of the SHA2 family, or generate random
serial numbers.

> And is the revocation bit done correctly (assuming I actually
> maintain a CRL from openssl ca -gencrl at the url above?

All the "ns*" extensions are deprecated, and shouldn't be used
anymore. The nsCaRevocationUrl extension should be replaced by this:
crlDistributionPoints = URI:http://www.example.com/ssl/CA-example.com.crl

You don't need to place a CRLDP extension in the root CA certificate
(a root can't really revoke itself).

You forgot to place the keyUsage extension in your server
certificates.

The issuerAltName extension is useless as stated (I'd say it's also
useless in general, but I won't argue).

I'd set the critical flag for the basicConstraints extension (both CA
and end-users (server+user)).

--
Erwann ABALEA <erwann.aba...@keynectis.com>
Département R&D