On 19/05/11 10:44, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm setting up a new CA/SSL infrastructure for work - the CA is self
signed and all SSL certs (mostly server certs rather than client certs)
will be signed off against this CA.

Thanks for all your help - I've managed something that incorporates all the corrections mentioned here, which have proven invaluable.

One further question through:

Is this the correct incantation for renewing a cert (ie resigning with a new end date):

#revoke original
openssl ca -extensions server_cert -config blah.cnf
        -cert certs/CA.crt -keyfile certs/CA.key
        -revoke certs/www.example.com.crt

# sign a new cert from the *original* CSR

openssl ca -extensions server_cert -config blah.cnf
        -cert certs/CA.crt -keyfile certs/CA.key
        -days 1000 -in certs/www.example.com.csr
        -out certs/www.example.com.crt

From what I understand, I only need to put the new cert on the server in question - the corresponding key remains untouched?

TIA