On Sun May 29 2011, greenelephant wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a computer with Ubuntu OS and an Apache HTTP server.  I am trying to
> create a SSL certificate using RSA public and private keys.
>
> However it has come to my attention that at this present moment there are
> sophisticated methods such as man in middle attack, Side channel attack, and
> Branch prediction analysis attacks.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_channel_attack
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_prediction
>
> This is of a concern to me especially the side channel attack as it can
> analyse one's CPU variants to predict one's secret key.

In the link you posted on the subject of side channel attacks, there is
a link to the paper referenced.
In that paper, section 5.1, "Experiment Setup", the test setup is described.

Which raises a question in my mind:

Do you intend on using OpenSSL v0.9.7, compiled with gcc-2.96
on a single-core powered server?

That setup reads as very 20th century to me. ;-)

Mike