Hello,

I created a SSL certificate using OpenSSL for my Microsoft WebServer 2003,
IIS 6.0. I am able to install and use it on the client and the server side
as well. Now I want to use it for my MSSQL Server express 2008 R2 but it
does not appear in the certificate list of the MSSQL server configuration
manager. I tried a lot of this hints in the internet but none of them
worked. I also found a list of prerequisites on the MS server but I am not
sure how to understand it:

1) The certificate must be in either local machine or current
   user certificate store.
2) The certificate must have a good time stamp, i.e. the current
   system time must be in the valid time window of the certificate.
3) The certificate must be meant for Server Authentication, i.e.
   the certificate's Enhanced Key Usage property has to be turned
   on for Server Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1).
4) The Certficate’s key spec must include AT_KEYEXCHANGE property.
   Usually, the certficate's key usage should include Key
   Encipherment.
5) The certificate’s subject CN must match the FQDN of the server
   machine, or the FQDN of the virtual server if the server runs
   on failover cluster.  This implies that required certificates
   must be provisioned on all nodes in the failover cluster.

Items 1, 2 and 3 are established. Item 4 is default as far as I was able to
read. Item 5 is also true: the CN matches the FQDN.

Can anybody help me?

The following steps are performed by me for creating the certificate:

set home=c:\openSSL\bin
set randfile=File.rnd
openssl genrsa -des3 -out firma-private.key 2048
openssl req -new -config 2.config -key firma-private.key -x509 -days 3065
-out firma-ca.cer
openssl x509 -req -days 3065 -in certreq.txt -CA firma-ca.cer -CAkey
firma-private.key -CAcreateserial -out extern-server.cer

content of 2.config:

[ req ]
default_bits       = 2048
distinguished_name = req_DN
string_mask        = nombstr

[ req_DN ]
countryName                     = DE
countryName_default             = DE
countryName_min                 = 2
countryName_max                 = 2
stateOrProvinceName             = N........ W........
stateOrProvinceName_default     = N........ W........
localityName                    = W........
localityName_default            = W........
0.organizationName              = S.....-C......
0.organizationName_default      = S.....-C......
organizationalUnitName          = Software
organizationalUnitName_default  = Software
commonName                      = s.....-c.......dyndns.org
commonName_max                  = 64
commonName_default              = s.....-........dyndns.org
emailAddress                    = i...@s.....-c.......de
emailAddress_max                = 40
emailAddress_default            = i...@s.....-c.......de

Thanks in advance,