I am trying to build kdelibs. I built openssl with

./config --prefix=/home/ddoria/bin shared
make
make install

Everything seemed to go well.

Then when I run cmake on kdelibs, it seems to find my system version
of openssl (/usr/...) even though I have /home/ddoria/bin first on
PATH and /home/ddoria/bin/lib first on LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Why would it
not find my local build of openssl? I tried to set it manually by
setting:

 OPENSSL_INCLUDE_DIR              /home/ddoria/bin/include/openssl
 OPENSSL_LIBRARIES                /home/ddoria/bin/lib64/libssl.so

but when I try to build kdelibs I get:

Linking CXX shared module ../../lib/kio_http.so
/usr/krb5/lib/libkrb5.a(pkinit_crypto_openssl.o): In function
`pkinit_decode_data':
pkinit_crypto_openssl.c:(.text+0x75ea): undefined reference to
`EVP_PKEY_decrypt_old'

I take this to mean that it is still not using the correct openssl?
Any clues on how to make it use the right one?

Thanks,

David