Does any commercial CA still issue client certs?  Most of them got out
of this business because the liability for them outstrips the revenue
benefit.

While it makes sense to have server certs issued by a commercial CA,
why would you even want client certs signed by a commercial CA?  When
you are both the RA and the CA, you may control any opaque identifier
you wish to bake into the cert. And you may have your own protocol for
verification of identity, whereas the only thing the cert attests to
in the case of a commercial CA is possession of the private key and
binding to (usually) an email address, since that's how the workflow
assures the identity.

- M