The size of the key, which must be supported by both your
encrypter and decrypter. OpenSSL currently imposes a limit
of 16K bits, and in my experience anything much over
4K bits becomes unusably slow on available hardware.
I think OpenSSL could be easily tweaked to allow more
if you want to wait long enough, since the underlying
bignum code has no practical limit, but I don't know
about anything else you might interoperate with.