On Tue July 19 2011, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
>   On 19.07.2011 13:30, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > But a quicker answer to just a symbol or a few: use the toolchain.

> > Now enter:
> > nm /usr/lib/libldap.a
> > be rewarded with a listing 1,830 lines long of the symbols defined
> > and the external symbols referenced.
> >
> > Of course, entering:
> > nm --help
> > will give you the command options, and
> > man nm
> > will give you all of the sicken details (the manual "man" command is
> > your friend on any *nix type system).
> >
> > But for those readers interested in the "instant answer" -
> >

> I'm afraid you got it the wrong way around:

You are correct, my bad.

The linker makes an internal list of the __required__ symbols and
then (actually, at the same time) tries to satisfy that list by
the symbols provided in the __following listed__ libraries.

I wrote those directions backwards - a major brain fart on my part.

Very glad you spotted my error.
Mike