hi,

  thanks for the info victor.

played with the openssl command line utility using the s_client & s_server
being configured to use eNULL with only NULL_SHA , NULL_MD5. The other ciphers
of eNULL are disabled.

I could see the client sending the above ciphers and the server selecting
NULL_SHA.  Whatever i type at the server i could see that message in the client
terminal.
hence i assume the exchange between client & server does happen.

I have two queries:
1) When i use my own applications (client & server) which uses the openssl
library a separate client program and a separate server program,both configured
to use only eNULL as above. (ie  with only NULL_SHA & NULL_MD5),

 i am seeing a error at the server application saying:

     Error in GET_CLIENT_HELLO_MSG: No shared ciphers: in s_srvr.c .....

I feel there is something missing in my client & server applications compared
to the openssl client & server programs.

Unable to understand what the error message is saying .. i was expecting that
since both my client & server have the common ciphers - NULL_SHA & NULL_MD5,
one of them to get selected and the handshake should get completed....

can somebody tell what the error messages convey in my application.

2) Getting back to the client & server programs supplied along with the openssl
package. When eNULL was configured as mentioned above, ran the wireshark
packet capture utility.
typed " hello world" at the server and the "hello world" was reflected in the
client.

Was expecting "hello world" to be seen in clear text because NULL encryption is
used.

But in wireshark i could not see anything in clear text .. Atleast i could not
see "hello world" in the application data section of wireshark.
Rightly application data was after the client hello exchange messages sent by
the ssl protocol.

wondering why clear text message was not seen .... does any form of encoding is
used by the client & server.??

Thanks.
have a nice day,
navin