On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson <st...@openssl.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011, Coda Highland wrote:
>
>> > Well I was hoping there was some kind of global configuration file
>> > directive that would affect the behavior of the openssl library and at
>> > least everything dynamically linked with it. But based on your answer
>> > it's fairly clear that there is no such option.
>>
>> He said that for OpenSSL 1.0.0 that the cipher list controls it. You
>> can configure the cipher list from openssl.cnf.
>>

> Actually you can't. Applications generaally have their own way of setting the
> cipherlist or just rely on the default value and don't allow it to be changed
> at all.

It would be very nice if there was a "cipher" list option that
applications could not override so that you can absolutely block SSLv2
on the whole machine by only editing one file (openssl.cnf and not
httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf, postfix/main.cf, dovecot.conf, etc).

I do not want to build anything from source anymore. Then I would have
to watch for updates and rebuild all the time. I would much rather
just rely on the distribution's package repository to keep me
up-to-date.

I'm currently using openssl 0.9.8e from CentOS 5.6. But CentOS 6 has
openssl 1.0 and it also has Postfix 2.6 which supports the
smtpd_tls_protocols = !SSLv2 directive which is required to disable
SSLv2 in Postfix at the app-level. So it sounds like I will need to
migrate to CentOS 6.

Mike