If I remember correctly, one possibility could be due to openssl malloc
failure in EVP_DigestInit() which can result in EVP_DigestUpdate to cause
segfault.
Check EVP_DigestInit() return code. Normally this can happen during
longevity or scale, if u'r system has some memory leak or not enough
resource.

-Shafeek