On Sun January 1 2012, grarpamp wrote:
> > Translation: I have to agree with O.P. - It looks broke to me too.  ;-)
>
> Heh, that's precisely what I said in my report :) The front end
> options to do it seem to exist, and they even have some brief
> descriptions as such.  They just don't work :)
>
> 'zlib' should get us static inclusion.

There is an inconsistency in the output of ./config --help, the
documentation, and what is written in the config/make code.

The true meaning (as executed) is:
zlib / no-zlib (no-zlib is the default) controls the presence
of compression (except for a source file or two that isn't
properly conditioned to match that).

IF compressed streams are enabled, then:
no-zlib-dynamic (the default) should get you the compression
statically included.

> 'zlib-dynamic' should get us dynamic inclusion.

And that should get you a reference to the specified dynamic library.
But the build system is always referring to the system installed libraries.

Which is why I showed in my example the use of a library other
than the system installed one.

The real key here is to ignore the "--help" and the documentation
and read the top Makefile __before__ running the config step(s).

> And then there's the failure of zlib to actually compress the data
> before encryption, also in my report. (gmail stupidly wrapped the
> command lines on that, sorry.)

I was able to get the compression test to fail/pass depending on
how I (mis-)configured/built the package.

But I didn't check if compression is used outside of "make test".
;-)

> I'll play around with the build system. And file a bug. Hopefully
> something will follow.
>
> Ps: The -D options are not needed since the --with versions of them
> work fine. Again, as in my report.

I didn't check the --with versions, only found that the -D options are
being ignored although passed with the commands., maybe the --with
versions do work.
Which doesn't mean that the -D options are not also broke.  ;-)

Also, gcc option parsing is becoming more strict.
At the moment (v4.6) it only warns that link options are being passed
when no linking is being done.

I just am not comfortable enough with that perlized makefile build
system to even guess at where that needs to be fixed before a newer
gcc version turns that warning into a failure.

Mike