On Wednesday 04 Jan 2012 13:40:12 you wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 Jan 2012 12:33:06 you wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have some firewalls that puts an subjectAltName X509v3 attribute
> >> into the CSR, but when I sign them with my openssl CA, it just throws
> >> that attribute away. VPN clients later requires the subjectAltName to
> >> match the host it connects to, hence it must be present.
> >
> > Theoretically at least the VPN client would search the Subject: string
> > for a Distinguished Name.
> > If it can't find it there it will look at the subjAltName which as you
> > say is not always available in a certificate.
>
> Yeah, in theory, but in practise the Android/VPN/Racoon client in this
> case requires subjAltName to work...

Hmm ... interesting.  Do you know what the client or router expects to find in
there?  I mean, what type of subjAltName string will it work happily with?

IP:XXX.XXX.X.XX,  DNS:example.com, email:acco...@example.com

or even /C=US/L=some_state/O=my_company/CN=VPN_user

I have been having similar problems here with a router which will not return a
DN (or subjAltName) from its certificate to any VPN clients trying to connect
to it.
--
Regards,
Mick